Asbestos management for Northern Territory Government assets
Stop. Think asbestos. Seek advice.
As the primary deliverer of the Northern Territory Government (NTG) infrastructure, the Department of Infrastructure, Planning and Logistics takes a lead role in the management of asbestos.
Asbestos can be found in buildings as well as contaminated land. For commercial and government buildings/sites, asbestos should only be removed by a licensed asbestos removalist.
An asbestos register is a document that lists all identified (or assumed) asbestos in a workplace.
It is intended that all NTG assets (excluding Housing) will be included in a single register. Currently, Northern Territory Police, Fire and Emergency Services and Department of Education (DoE) have separate registers.
Properties leased by the NTG have been assessed for asbestos-containing material using guidelines under Work Health and Safety (National Uniform Legislation) Act 2011.
For information regarding asbestos registers and to access them, follow the links below:
For enquiries about other asbestos registers, email email@example.com
Policy and strategy for Northern Territory Government assets
The asbestos management policy and strategy for the NTG (the policy) aims to ensure a safe and healthy work environment and best practice in the management of asbestos containing materials for government controlled buildings and contaminated land.
Read the revised asbestos management policy and strategy for the NTG
Inter-agency asbestos management working group
The Inter-agency Asbestos Management Working Group (the working group) was established by the NTG to progress a collaborative, whole-of-government approach to improving asbestos awareness and asbestos management of NTG assets, both within and outside the built environment.
Its functions include:
- a thorough examination of asbestos management related issues as they effect the Northern Territory
- ensuring a collaborative whole of government approach to addressing legacy asbestos removal outside the built environment
- provide advice and recommendations to the NTG on asbestos management as it relates to NTG built assets and contaminated land.
The working group involves representation from:
- Department of Infrastructure, Planning and Logistics – Chair, Secretariat and administration support
- Department of the Chief Minister
- Department of Attorney General and Justice
- Department of Education
- Department of Health
- Department of Housing and Community Development
- Department of Environment and Natural Resources
- Department of Tourism and Culture
- Department of Primary Industry and Resources
- Department of Corporate and Information Services – NT Property Management
- Northern Territory Police, Fire and Emergency Services
- Territory Families
- Power and Water Corporation.
Last updated: 18 November 2019