State Square Underground Car Park
- Traffic delays expected – Factsheet – January 2019 PDF, 572.4 KB
- More jobs, cooler city: Another step for Cavenagh Street, Civic and State Square projects – Media Statement – November 2018
The Territory Government is committed to revitalising Darwin’s CBD into a tropical, world-renowned destination, whilst supporting local business, creating more jobs for Territorians and boosting tourism.
The redevelopment of the State Square precinct and construction of a new underground car park is the first step in this major revitalisation program aimed at making the city a cooler and more public friendly place.
The new underground car park will be located below the existing grassed area between the Esplanade and Mitchell Street adjacent to Parliament House, commonly referred to as the Assembly Park.
The new car park will see the relocation of existing surface car parks in State Square to an underground facility and will enable the redevelopment of the precinct by freeing up space and reducing heat generation.
The underground car park will accommodate 450 car parks and have a dual role as a cyclone shelter.
Cost – $19.4 million
The new underground car park will be funded from the $100 million commitment announced as part of Budget 2017 for Revitalising the Darwin CBD.
Project commencement - August 2018
Estimated completion - Mid 2019 (approx. 15 months)
Project Director: Lyle Hebb
Phone: (08) 8946 5218
Asbestos containing material has been discovered during the excavation of the State Square Car Park.
The Northern Territory Environment Protection Authority (NT EPA) have issued a Pollution Abatement Notice to the Department of Infrastructure, Planning and Logistics (DIPL) to consolidate the contaminated soil.
DIPL will continue to work with NT EPA as the required works are undertaken and milestones are met.
Construction of the underground car park facility will continue in conjunction with the required works.
To view the full Pollution Abatement Notice issued by the NT EPA, visit the Pollution Abatement Notices section on the NT EPA website.
- Excavation PDF, 2798.62 KB – Factsheet – August 2018
- More Jobs, Cooler City: Excavation begins on $19.4 million State Square Underground Car Park – Media Statement – August 2018
- Early works PDF, 525.46 KB – Factsheet – June 2018
- Creating jobs: $32 million tender to revitalise and cool Darwin’s CBD – Media Statement – January 2018
Last updated: 20 October 2019